Friday, March 9, 2018

RECIPE: Vegan Mac 'n Cheese






I've tried making one of my favorite dishes, mac 'n cheese several times but to no avail. Time and time again, I've wasted time and good ingredients only to be make mac 'n cheese that tasted... mmmmhhhh, just alright.

So, when I say that this recipe inspired me to create something that was more than palatable, but had myself (a mac 'n cheese connoisseur) and others reaching for seconds. I finally found the recipe that inspired me to achieve the right consistency and texture, and still delivering on the cheesy flavor.

But of course, I couldn't just eat the mac 'n cheese by itself, so I paired it with collard greens and vegan crab cakes. I'll share those recipes following this one. Being the picky eater I am, I don't follow recipes to the "T", but gather inspiration from them and create my own flavor profile and opt to use ingredients I already have and/or prefer. The inspiration from this recipe came from Tasty, but I added number of other steps and ingredients.

INGREDIENTS:
  • Yukon Gold Potatoes - 2 (peeled and cubed)
  • Carrot - 1 medium peeled and diced into 1-inch
  • Onion - 1/4 cup (peeled and quartered)
  • Cashew - ½ cup (roasted and salted)
  • Pink Himalayan salt - 1 tablespoon
  • Sea Salt - 1/2 tablespoon 
  • Black Pepper - 1 tablespoon
  • garlic powder - 2 tablespoons 
  • onion powder - 2 tablespoons 
  • nutritional yeast - 1/2 cup 
  • macaroni noodle - 1 lb (cooked)
  • reishi powder - 1 tablespoon (you can substitute reishi for another mushroom powder)
  • turmeric powder - 1/2 tablespoon
  • Paprika - 2 teaspoons

  • Instructions: 
  • Bring a pot of hot water to a boil, add potatoes, carrots and 1/2 tablespoon of reishi powder and boil for 10-15 minutes

Strain the vegetables, but keep boiled water in a large bowl
Place cashews, vegetables, seasonings and the other 1/2 tablespoon of reishi powder in blender 

Pour in the boiled water from the large bowl (pour in as needed until you get the consistency that you like)

Place cooked noodles in a casserole dish, pour cheese flavored vegetable puree over the noodles, and mix until you get your preferred consistency. If you want a more creamy mac 'n cheese consistency then you're all done at this step. Maybe add to a pan to reheat to serve warm.

Place the dish inside a pre-heated oven 475-degrees

Bake for 15 minutes, or until the top layer is golden (or your preferred consistency) and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment